- Length: 4.5 inches
- Small, conical bill
Adult male alternate:
- Deep blue plumage (in poor light appears black)
- Blackish wings and tail with blue edges
- Basic-plumaged male (Fall and Winter) similar to adult female but often has
has some blue feathers
- Dark brown upperparts
- Warm brown underparts with faint dark streaks
- Indistinct wing bars
- Immature plumages similar to adult female-immature male can have blue
The Blue Grosbeak is very similar to the Indigo Bunting but is larger with
brown wing bars. Female Indigo Buntings are similar to other female buntings.
Female Lazuli Bunting has white wing bars. Female Varied Bunting very similar
but has more curved culmen and lacks steaking below. Female Painted Bunting
greener. Sparrows have more patterned faces and streaked backs.
Length and wingspan from: Robbins, C.S., Bruun, B., Zim, H.S., (1966). Birds of North America. New York: Western Publishing Company, Inc.
Patuxent Bird Population Studies
Patuxent Bird Identification InfoCenter