- Length: 12 inches
- Large, short-legged, big-headed, big-billed bird
- Hovers over water and dives headfirst into water in pursuit of
- Slate blue head, with white spot near lores
- White chin, throat and neck
- Slate blue breastband
- Slate blue back and upperwing coverts with small white spots
- Slate blue tail with numerous dark and light bands
- White underparts with reddish belly band extending down flanks
In the United States, only the Ringed Kingfisher of south
Texas is similar. It is superficially similar but is larger and
has an entirely reddish belly band.
Length and wingspan from: Robbins, C.S., Bruun, B., Zim, H.S., (1966). Birds of North America. New York: Western Publishing Company, Inc.
Patuxent Bird Population Studies
Patuxent Bird Identification InfoCenter